birthday countdown

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My New Favorite Quote!

One of my best friends, you know the kind that really know you, well she sent me this quote that I just had to put on my blog. In fact if it wasn't so long, I might paint it on my bedroom wall! ha ha

I have to give you just a bit of background information. This quote is by Patricia Holland, the wife of a very prominent LDS leader. I love her, I have some talks and quotes from her that have gotten me through some very tough times. I have never met her, but feel like she is a friend of mine and that she really 'get's' it! Anyway this quote is perfect for what I am trying to accomplish with my fitness goals.


“Anyone who reads a newspaper or magazine is constantly reminded that proper diet, appropriate exercise, and plenty of rest increase our daily capacities as well as our life span. But all too many of us put off even these minimal efforts, thinking our family, our neighbors, and our other many responsibilities come first. Yet in doing so, we put at risk the thing these people need most from us: our healthiest, happiest, heartiest self. . . .
“The issue for me then, is accepting that we are worth the time and effort it takes to achieve the full measure of our creation, and believing that it is not selfish, wrong, or evil. It is, in fact, essential to our spiritual development.
“My oldest child tried to teach me this principle years ago. I had not been feeling well on a day I had promised to take this then three-year-old son to the zoo. As my aches and pains increased, I finally said in exasperation, ‘Matthew, I don’t know if we should go to the zoo and take care of you or if we should stay home and take care of mother.’ He looked up at me for a moment with his big brown eyes and then stated emphatically, ‘Mama, I think youshould take care of you, so youcan take care of me.’He was wise enough even at that age to know where his best interests were ultimately served. Unless we take care of ourselves, it’s virtually impossible to properly take care of others” (“The Many Faces of Eve,” in Jeffrey R. Holland and Patricia T. Holland, On Earth As It Is in Heaven[1989], 66–67).


If that doesn't inspire me and make me realize that what I am doing is worth it and okay, I don't know what else anyone could say that would. Hope it inspires you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment