birthday countdown

Monday, January 11, 2010

Mahi-mahi with Macadamia Nut Crust, Island Rice and Fruit Salsa

This was so good! I have not been a fan of fish for most of my life. Then I had some great fish tacos a few years ago and since then I have been a little more daring. Mahi-Mahi is super mild. I buy mine at Costco. It comes in a bag with individually frozen fillets. It is very reasonably priced, which is a bonus. This meal did take me a longer to prepare than most of my recipes. I don't know if I was just having an off day or the constant interruption of 4 boys made it so slow, but it was well worth the wait! I found this recipe at the Mayo Clinic Site, but I changed it up just a bit.

Mahi-Mahi with Macadamia Nut Crust

Ingredients
1/3 cup fresh whole-grain bread crumbs ( I just whiz up my favorite bread in the blender)
6 tablespoons macadamia nuts, finely chopped
1.5 tablespoon parsley ( I used dried)
3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup lite coconut milk
6 mahi-mahi fillets, each 5 ounces and about 1-inch thick
1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 450 F. Place a small wire rack in a shallow nonstick baking pan.
On a plate, stir together the bread crumbs, nuts, parsley, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Pour the milk into a shallow dish. Dip each fillet in the milk and then dredge in the nut mixture, coating completely and pressing lightly so the mixture adheres well.
Place the fillets on the rack in the baking pan, making sure that they don't touch. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
Bake until the fish is opaque throughout when tested with the tip of a knife and the crust is golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to warmed individual plates and serve immediately.


Island Rice: I got this recipe recently from my sister in law. I liked it a lot, but it got mixed reviews from my kids. I think I let it overcook a bit, since my fish took longer than I thought. It calls for dried pineapple. I found some dried pineapple without any added sugar at Trader Joe's. I went there over the holidays with this same sister in law. She is teaching me all sorts of great stuff!

 Island Rice

2 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice ( I used brown rice)
1/2 cups chopped dried pineapple
 2 teaspoons butter
 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
 1/4 teaspoons salt
 1/4 cups chopped fresh cilantro
 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
 2 1/2 tablespoons  fresh lime juice

 Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice and next 4 ingredients (rice through salt). Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro, onions, and juice.
 Yield: 3 cups


Fruit Salsa
We love making this and it is always a hit. It is good with lots of meats.

Cut up any tropical fruits you like. This time we used pineapple ( I used canned) mangos and kiwi. Chop up a green or red pepper, red onion, jalapeno pepper (finely diced I just use 1) and some fresh cilantro. Squeeze in the juice of one lime and mix well. Let sit in the fridge for at least one hour before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment