birthday countdown

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Greek Chicken in the Crock Pot with Whole wheat Pitas

We are having this for dinner tonight. I love it because it is so easy to make. I got this recipe a few years ago from my sister in law and I make it often.

Greek Chicken

Frozen chicken breasts ( as many as you like I usually do 4 large ones)
Lemon Pepper
Onions, fresh or dried

Put chicken in the crock pot, sprinkle with lemon pepper, add some onions. Cook on high 4-6 hours. Shred chicken up. Stir in some plain yogurt. Serve in Whole Wheat Pita's with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheese, whatever! I also like it on a big salad.

Whole Wheat Pita's
These are super easy to make also, and I have been making them for years. They are so much better than anything you can buy. The recipie is from a cook book Bread Machine Magic. I used lots of recipes from this book when I had a bread maker.

 Whole Wheat Pita Bread (This recipe makes 8 pitas, but I double or triple it because I don't make it in the bread machine anymore)

1 1/8 cup water
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. olive oil
1  tsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast

Mix dough, let raise until double. Roll our dough and divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball. Roll out each ball with a rolling pin into a 6-7 inch circle.  Let pita's rise for about 30 minutes, until slightly puffy. Position an oven rack ( I use my cookie rack) in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 500 degrees. Bake pita's 4-5 minutes our until puffed and slightly brown. Remove form oven and immediately cover with a damp kitchen towel until soft and flat. Store extra's in the fridge or freeze for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment